Fruit pods of radish / mooli varieties are quite edible and delicious. These are called Radish pods, Mogro, Mungori, Mongri, sogri, sungra, singri and mungra. They are often confused for French beans.
These pods have distinct pungent flavor and crunch and often eaten raw, in salads or stir fries. Over cooking reduces their crunch and hence avoided. They are available in various shape, sizes and colour. Green and purple mogri varieties are popular. Purple variety or known by madras radish, rattail radish pods, lila mogri appears quite exotic.
Mogri is very seasonal vegetable. It is generally available only during winter. Hence you may not find this throughout the year. Make best use of this vegetable during the short period of its availability.
Mogri is rich in vitamins and minerals and overs a lot of health benefits. Learn few healthy recipes using Mogri / moongra here :
- Mogri Raita : Quick dahi based raita using purple mogri
2. Mogri nu shaak : Gujarati way of making stir fried purple radish pods
3. Mogri Peru Nu Kachumber : Salad of radish pods along with guava
4. Mogri Salad: Purple radish pod salad
5. Mogri ki sabji : Simple stir fried green radish pods
6. Mogri ki kadhi: Spicy curd curry with radish pods
7. Mogri ka achar: Pickled radish pods
8. Mogri Aloo ki sabji : Stir fried radish pods with potatoes
9. Badi mogri ki sabzi : Radish pods with dried lentils
10. Gajar Mogri Mooli Mirch Ka Achar : Mix vegetable pickle
11. Besan Mogri : Spicy radish pods curry
12. Mongre da paratha: Punjabi Radish pod stuffed flatbread