Radish pods or Mogri (also known as Mongri, sangari) is a very seasonal vegetable and available only in winter. Mangodi or badi is dried lentils which is common food ingredient in Rajasthan. This recipe of Badi mogri ki sabzi or Mogri Mangodi ki sabji is popular in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- 1 cup mongri / radish pods, cleaned and washed
- ½ cup mangodi / badi / dried lentils
- 2 tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ teaspoon haldi / turmeric seed powder
- 1 tablespoon dhania powder / coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- One dry red chilli, broken
- Salt to taste
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 2 green chillies, chopped finely
- Fry mangodi / badi pieces in 1 tbsp oil till colour changes. Add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Keep aside.
- Heat some oil in pan. Splutter cumin seeds, hing, dry red chillies.
- Add garlic paste, green chllies. Saute.
- Add Mogri and mix well.
- Add balance spices and mix well. Saute till mogri is half cooked.
- Add tomato puree and adjust taste with salt.
- Add cooked mangodi / badi. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till done. Adjust consistency with water.
- Serve badi mogri ki sabji hot with roti.