Kantola or Spiny gourd is a seasonal vegetable. It is called Katurle or Kartoli in Marathi. Katurle chi bhaji is a stir fried preparation with minimal spices. Katurle are nutrient dense and offer multiple health benefits and hence minimally cooked to preserve its nutrient content.
- 400 grams Katurle / spiny gourd, small size and washed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- Coriander leaves
- 1 pinch Hing / asafoetida
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 tablespoons Oil, as required
- Clean and chop Katurle in small pieces and place in salted water.
- Heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds, hing and mustard seeds.
- Add crushed garlic and saute.
- Add katurle, turmeric powder and coriander seed powder. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10=15 minutes till Katurle are fully cooked.
- Adjust taste with salt and red chilli powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve katurle chi bhaji with chapati.