Spicy and tangy chickpea curry
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup white onion thinly sliced
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 4 garlic (coarsely crushed in a pestle and mortar)
- 2 ginger thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds ground to a coarse powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon mango powder/ Amchoor
- 90 grams roughly chopped tomato
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Sliced green chilli for garnish (optional)
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight. Drain them and boil in excess water till tender.
- Drain the chickpeas and keep aside the stock water.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry onions till they change colour.
- Add the whole cardamom pods and fry for minute.
- Add crushed garlic and the ginger. Saute for few seconds. Add powdered spices.
- Add tomato and cook till soft. Mash them lightly with the back of the spoon.
- Add boiled chickpeas and fry for 4-5 minutes as the masala coats them.
- Now add the stock, stir well and bring to a boil. Simmer and cook with the lid on 20-25minutes.
- Mash some of the chickpeas lightly with the back of the spoon to thicken the gravy.
- Garnish with fresh coriander, chillies , sliced onions and cumin powder
- Serve hot with puri or bhatura.