Teppal / Triphal or Jumman Kai is Indian Sichuan pepper variety found in Coastal Maharashtra and Karnataka region. It has very typical flavour and taste. Kele Teppal Ambat is spicy curry made using raw banana and teppal seasoning.
- 2 raw banana, medium sized and cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- Ghee/Coconut oil
- 6 dry red chilli
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 12 teppal / Indian Sichuan pepper
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 small tamarind ball
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Roast dry red chillies, coriander seeds and teppal.
- Grind them along with coconout, tamarind and turmeric powder to smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add and stir fry banana cubes.
- Add salt and little water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes till bananas are cooked.
- Add ground masala paste and 1-2 cups water.
- Bring mixture to boil. Adjust taste with salt.
- Serve Kele Teppal Ambat hot with rice.