Kaankada Bhaja is simple Odia preparation using seasonal vegetable – Kandkaada. Kaankada Bhaja is stir fried version of this vegetable using local herbs.
- 4 Kaankada / spiny gourd, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, large chopped length wise
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Green coriander leaves
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds and dry red chillies.
- Add onion and salt. Fry till onions change colour.
- Add turmeric and red chilli. Saute.
- Add and stir fry kaankada slices. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add water, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes till Kaankada is cooked.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves. Serve Kaankada bhaja hot as side dish.