Goan Chonya Doce
Lentil and coconut dessert popular during Christmas
- Category: Dessert Recipes, Goan Recipes
- 200 grams Chana Dal / split Bengal Gram, soaked for 3 hours
- 400 grams Sugar
- 1 1/2 fresh Coconut (scraped)
- Salt – to taste
- 6 Green Cardamom (peeled & freshly powdered)
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- Pressure cook dal until soft. Grind dal to thick paste.
- Grind coconut with little water to smooth paste.
- Mix coconut paste, sugar, salt and chana dal paste. Cook on medium heat. Stir continuously till mixture thickens and leaves sides.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder and stir to mix well. The mixture will turn into dough ball. Add ghee.
- Knead the dough and roll into 1 cm thick flats. Cut into desired shapes. Allow to cool and set.
- Store Goan Chonya Doce in airtight container.