Pazhu Pavakkai kulumbu is spicy curry preparation from Tamil Nadu using seasonal vegetable Pazhu Pavakkai.
- 250 grams Pazhu Pavakkai / Palu Pavakkai / Spiny gourd, cleaned and chopped in thin slice
- 10 -15 Shallots / sambar onions,
- Few curry leaves
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 pinch Hing / Asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1 piece jaggery
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Tamarind, lemon sized ball, soaked in a cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- Coriander leaves
- Heat oil and stir fry pazhu pavakkai till colour changes. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil. Splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and hing.
- Add curry leaves, shallots and garlic. Saute till colur changes.
- Add tomato and cook till soft.
- Add spice powders - coriander seed powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, fennel seed powder. Mix well.
- Add fried pazhu pavakkai and tamarind water.
- Adjust taste with salt and jaggery.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes till fully cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Pazhu Pavakkai kulumbu with hot steamed rice.