Kheksi or spiny gourd is a seasonal vegetable. In Chattishgarh and other parts of central India, it is cooked along with bengal gram.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Kasuri methi
- 250 grams Kheksi, chopped
- Chana dal, soaked in water
- 1 tomato, chopped
- jeera powder
- coriander seed powder
- red chilli powder
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, green chillies and hing.
- Add and saute onion and garlic. Saute till onions change colour.
- Add Kasuri methi and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add soaked chana dal and mix well.
- Cover and allow dal to cook for sometime.
- Add kheksi. Roast for minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Adjust taste with salt, red chilli powder, jeera powder and coriander seed powder.
- Cover and cook till dal is cooked.
- Garnish with green coriander leaves. Serve Kheksi chana dal ki sabji with hot roti.