Pooshanikai Pulikkootu is an easy Tamil Nadu dish prepared by cooking ash gourd with lentils, tamarind and spices. It tastes great with plain rice.
- 1/2 kilogram Ash gourd /Pooshanikkai, chopped into small pieces
- 3 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Gram dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Urad dal
- 2 tablespoons Peas, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup Toor dal
- 8 Kozhambu vadaam / sun dried dumplings
- Lemon sized Tamarind ball, soaked in water
- 3 Dry red chilli
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 3 teaspoons Coriander seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- Few Coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Scraped coconut
- A pinch Hing
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Pressure cook peas and toor dal and keep aside.
- Heat oil and roast gram dal, coriander seeds, dry red chilli and scraped coconut. Coarsely grind the roasted ingredients.
- Heat a tbsp of oil and fry kozhambu vadaam till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Cook ash gourd with salt, hing and turmeric powder.
- When half done, add fried kozhambu vadaam, peas, tamarind water, mashed dal and boil until thick.
- Add coarsely ground powder and boil.
- Season with mustard seeds, urad dal, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Serve pooshanikai pulikkootu with rice and ghee.