Ja Stem means yellow rice in Khasi language. It is made using locally grown turmeric which is high nutrient content and fragrance. The golden yellow color is appetizing. Ja Stem is one of Meghalaya’s favourite rice-dish in office canteens and homes.
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried red chilly
- 1/2 teaspoon Lakadong turmeric powder / local haldi
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Ginger, piece half inch long grated
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Add and fry bay leaves, dry red chilly, cardamom and cinnamon powder.
- Add onions and fry till translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add rice and mix well. Add 3-4 cups water and continue cooking till rice is done. Stir in between.
- Serve Ja Stem hot with vegetable curry