Sweet and nutty cooked Bengal gram
- 1 cup chana dal/bengal gram
- 2 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 dried red chili
- 2 green chili cut lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut chopped
- 1 tablespoon dessicated coconut
- salt, as per taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 10 cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- coconut shavings, raisins, and basil leaves for garnishing
- Pressure cook dal. Once cool mash lightly along with salt and turmeric powder.
- Ghee roast cashew nuts, raisins, chopped coconut and desiccated coconut separately till slight brown. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee. Splutter cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon and dried red chili.
- Add cooked dal and green chillies. Cook for 2 minutes. Adjust consistency with water. Adjust taste with salt and sugar. Cook covered for 3-5 minutes. Stir in between.
- Add fried cashew nut, raisins and coconut. Cook for 2 mintues.
- Garnish and serve Cholar Dal hot along with rice.