Bharta is generally associated with brinjals. This recipe is variant with smashed carrots cooked with spices.
- 250 grams carrots, washed and peeled
- 4 tomatoes, medium sized chopped
- 2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- salt, as per taste
- 1 pinch asafoetida / hing
- 1 teaspoon jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- Boil carrots in water. Drain and keep aside.
- Grind carrots along with tomato coarsely.
- Heat ghee, splutter cumin seeds. Roast onion till light brown. Add carrot paste and roast for a while.
- Add spices and adjust taste with salt.
- Continue heating till oil separates.
- Garnish with butter and coriander leaves.
- Serve gajar ka halwa hot with roti.