Khatkhate (खतखतें) is konkani dish is an exotic mixed vegetable stew of Goan cuisine. This dish is usually prepared for weddings, pujas, and other occasions. Khatkhate curry is prepared with at least five vegetables, coconut, kokum / tamarind, tepphal / sichuan pepper. Khatkhate is also known by Gajbaje Randhai or Sagle.
- 2 ridge gourd / Ghosale, ridges removed and cubed
- 1 madras cucumber / tavashe, cubed
- 5 lady's finger / okra, cut into inch long pieces
- 1/4 piece Kadgi / breadfruit, outer skin removed and cubed
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1 cup tur dal
- 4 dry red chilies
- 15 fresh tepphal / sichuan pepper, crushed (dry tepphal as alternative)
- 1 teaspoon coriandar seeds
- 1 piece tamaraind
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt, as per taste
- Pressure cook tur dal with water for 1 whistle. Keep aside.
- Grind coconut, red chillies, coriander seeds, tamarind and turmeric powder with little water to smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Pressure cook ridge gourd, cucumber, okra and breadfruit with a cup of water for 1 whistle on high flame.
- In a pan, heat cooked vegetables along with tur dal, ground paste, teppal and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust consistency with water and tast with salt.
- Serve Khatkhate hot with rice.