Amdo Khabsey are deep fried snacks made in Tibetan cuisine and usually made during celebrations such as the Losar (Tibetan New Year) or weddings.
- 1 kilogram Whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup Yer Ma / Emma (Sichuan Pepper)
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 cup Butter, melted
- Soak Yer ma / Sichuan pepper in 4 cups warm water and leave overnight. Strain and use water to make dough.
- Mix wheat flour with salt, melted butter and yer ma water and knead into soft yet firm dough.
- Take a piece of dough and roll into inch long strands.
- Grease strands with oil and roll into large container. Allow to rest overnight.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Take one strand of dough and start rolling, pulling and twisting into long noodles like shapes.
- Deep fry these long strands using long chopstick till golden brown.
- Your Ambo Khabsey for Tibetian Losar are ready!