Spicy tangy okra cooked in Chettinad style
- 1 1/2 cups Vendakkai / Ladysfinger / Okra
- 1 cup small Onion
- 8 Garlic,long chopped
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1 Tamarind, lemon sized piece soaked in water
- 1 pinch Hing / asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 1/2 Jeera / cumin seeds
- Curry Leaves, few
- 5 Dry red Chillies
- 5 Green Chillies,long slit
- Make seasoning by frying in oil - mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, urad dal, jeera, curry leaves, dry red chilles and green chillies.
- To this add onion and ladysfinger. Stir fry. Add tomota and cook till lady\'s finger is half done.
- Add tamarind pulp and water (known as mandi). Continue cooking for 10 min.
- Serve vendakkai mandi along with steamed hot rice.