Urad dal and rice uttapam in Oriya way
- Category: Oriya Recipes
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1/2 cup Rice Flour
- 2 medium Tomato
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Green Chillies
- 2 -3 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- Salt - as per taste
- Wash and soak Urad dal with pinch of fenugreek powder overnight.
- Grind it and let it ferment in dry warm place for 4-5 hrous
- Heat Canola Oil. Add Mustard Seeds, hing, curry leaves and green chilles. Allow to cook for 1 minute. Now add chopped Onion, grated ginger and allow to cook till onions are translucent.
- Add chopped Tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Stir well.
- Add Rice Flour to the Urad Dal and fold it well. Add this to the Urad dal / rice flour mix to the onion mixture and mix well.
- Heat a flat tawa using medium heat. Add drop of oil and spread over it. Using big ladle, drop batter on tawa and spread it.
- Cover for fast and uniform cooking.
- Turn it over to cook the other side. It takes a good 3-4 minutes to make each Pitha.
- Serve hot with chutney