Avarekalu is a seasonal food ingredient and Avarekalu Kadubu is a wounderful recipe to enjoy them. Avarekalu kadubu are steamed dumplings made from broken rice and field beans. Avarekalu Kadubu is a breakfast item often served in Malenadu region in Karnataka.
- 3 cups Akki tari / rice rava
- 1 1/2 cups Avarekalu / Field beans
- Ginger, 1 inch, grated
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut, grated
- 2 teaspoons Black pepper, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- Pressure cook Avarekalu with little salt till soft.
- Heat Oil. Splutter cumin seeds, peppercorns, chana dal, urad dal and ginger. Fry until dal is crisp.
- Add rice rava and roast for 3-5 minutes.
- Add grated coconut and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Add 3-4 cups of water while stirring. Avoid formation of lumps. Continue cooking till all water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- While still warm, using wet palms take spoonfoul of rava and press into round ball. (Balls are to be made while mixture is hot, else it would not bind)
- Steam all these raw balls for 10 minutes.
- Serve Avarekalu Kadubu with coconut chutney.