Khichdi is a tasty and healthy dish made from rice and lentils. Kadhi is a popular Gujarati dish, made with gram flour, yogurt as and various spices. Kutchi Khichdi with Kadhi is a wonderful combination of both khichdi and kadhi.
- 1 cup moong (moong beans), soaked in water for 3 hours
- 1/2 cup rice, soaked in water for 1/2 hour
- 2 medium size chopped onions
- 1 small bowl green garlic (hara lashun)
- 1 small bowl coriander leaves (hara dhania)
- 2 to 3 chopped green chillies
- 2 dry red chillies
- 2 tej patta(bay leaves)
- 3 cloves(laung)
- 2 cinnamons(dalachini)
- Some curry leaves (kadhi patta)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (sarso or rai)
- Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- Mix rice and mong together. Add water and salt. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Allow to cool.
- Once cooked, add water and stir to make soft consistency. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee. Splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves, hing, curry leaves, red chilli, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves and green chillies.
- Add onions and cook till translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder, garam powder.
- Add rice / moong . Adjust taste with salt. Mix well.
- Add green garlic and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.