Mochakottai Kuzhambu/ Mochai Kulambuis spicy lima bean / field bean curry made in Chettinad style with spices and coconut. Mochai kulambu is often served along with dosa or rice.
- 1 cup Mochai / field beans, fresh green, pressure cooked for 1 whistle
- 1 piece Tamarind, lemon sized - soaked in water
- 1 dry red chilli
- 1 Tomato, small
- 4 garlic pods
- 6 shallots
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 pinch hing
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeeds
- 8 shallots
- 5 garlic pods
- 1 tomato, large, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric power
- 2 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1/4 cup coconut, chopped
- Stir fry masala ingredients in 2 tsp oil, till shallots and tomatoes are cooked. Grind to paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, hing, dry red chilly and curry leaves. Saute.
- Add shallots and garlic pod. Fry till shallots change colour.
- Add tomato and mix well. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add masala paste and tamarind extract. Saute for a minute.
- Add beans and mix well.
- Adjust consistency with water and taste with salt.
- Continue cooking till beans are cooked.
- Serve Mocha kottai Kulambu hot with rice.