Makhana / lotus seeds / fox nuts is a popular food. It is preferred for its health benefits and often eaten during fasting. This recipe combines the health benefits of makhana in a dessert.
- 1 cup, Makhana, roasted and powdered
- 3/4 cup Badam powder / almond powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 10 strands Saffron, soaked in milk
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- In a pan, make sugar syrup by boiling sugar with 1 cup water till one string consistency
- Add saffron strands to the boiling sugar syrup
- Add milk to sugar and mix well.
- Stop heating and add makhana and badam powder. Stir to ensure no lumps.
- Heat again on medium flame till mixture leaves pan surface and forms dough.
- Transfer to greased plate and spread. Allow to cool and set.
- Allow to cool. Cut in desired shapes and store Makhana barfi in air tight container.