Jhinge Alu Posto
Jhinge Alu Posto is a traditional Bengali recipe prepared by cooking ridge gourd with potato and poppy seed paste. It is best served with steamed rice or roti.
- Category: Bengali Recipes, Potato Recipes
- 1 medium ridge gourd, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 2 -3 medium potatoes, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 medium sized onion , finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 -4 green chillies
- Salt to taste
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon panch phoron (a mix of fennel, cumin, nigella, mustard and fenugreek seeds)
- Grind poppy seeds, green chillies and salt to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- To heated oil in a pan, add panch phoron, onions and sauté till translucent.
- Add cubed potatoes and ridge gourd cubes, and sauté.
- Cover the pan and cook for some time.
- Add the poppy paste and salt and mix well
- Cook until all the water has evaporated.
- Serve Jhinge Alu Posto warm with steamed rice or roti.