Side dish using pumpkin and black eyed peas with Kerala spices
- 2 cups Pumpkin /Poosanikkai/Mathan, seeded, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup Black eyed peas, soaked for 2 hours.
- 1 cup Coconut, scrapped
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera
- 1 Green Chillies
- 2 Garlic, cloves
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Pressure cook peas and pumpkin separately.
- Grind coconut, jeera, garlic and green chillies into coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves. Fry onion till brown.
- Add cooked pumpkin and peas. Stir. Add ground coconut paste and salt. Stir and saute for 5 minutes.
- Serve Manthan Erissery with rice and pickle.