Spiny Gourd is known by multiple names in Maharashtra. Kartul or Kartoli or God karli. This recipe of Bharlele Kartul is stir fried, spicy preparation of stuffed Kartul. Stuffing is made of groundnut powder, coconut powder and spices.
- 10 Kartul / Kantola / Spiny Gourd
- 2 tablespoons Roasted groundnut powder
- 1/2 cup Dry coconut powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seed powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Cut Kartul on top and remove inside seeds to make it hollow. Keep aside.
- Mix ginger garlic paste, groundnut powder, coconut powder, turmeric powder, red chilli pwoder, coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, jaggery powder, salt and garam masala to form stuffing mixture.
- Stuff mixture in Kartul / goaurd. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds and tsp of ginger garlic paste. Saute.
- Add onion paste and saute. Cook till colour change.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and little water. Mix well.
- Add stuffed spiny gourd and stir till all gourd pieces are coated with spice.
- Add little water. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes till Kartuls are cooked.
- Serve Bharlele Kartul as side dish.