People in Karanataka call Spiny gourd or teasel gourd as Mada Hagalakayi. In monsoon, it is enjoyed as Mada Hagalakayi Palya or simply fritters made from spiny gourd.
- 1/2 kilogram Spiny gourd /Mada Hagalakayi
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger garli paste
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons besan / bengal gram flour
- 1/2 teaspoon jeera
- turmeric powder
- Chop in 1/4 inch thick rings.
- Mix red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, rice flour, besan flour, jeera powder and salt.
- Adding little water at a time, make smooth paste for coating.
- Dip Mada Hagalkayi rings in mixture to coat paste on all sides.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry rings to that they are crisp on both sides.
- Serve Mada Hagalakayi Palya as snack.