Raintha / Palak Khajur raita is a specialty of the Kangra valley of Himachal Pradesh. The main ingredients of this dish are spinach, dates, walnut paste, yogurt and a few spices.
- 1 Palak or Spinach, Large Bunch Fresh, chopped and ground into a paste
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, roasted and ground into a paste with little water
- 20 Khajur or Dates, Pitted or Seedless , cut into thin strips and soaked in water for 4 to 6 hours
- 1/4 cup Mustard Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 cups Dahi or Yogurt, beaten
- Heat mustard oil. Add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, roasted fenugreek powder, and chilli powder. Mix well.
- Turn on the heat and add dates and walnut paste. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add spinach puree and sauté till the water evaporates.
- Turn off the heat and add beaten yogurt. Mix well.
- Add some water, and continue heating till it boils.
- Serve Raintha warm.