Tangy tamarind sauce for making tamarind rice
- Puli / tamarind – Big orange ball size, soaked in hot water for 4 hr.
- 1/2 cup Oil
- Salt - to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder / Manchal podi
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon Urad dal
- 1/3 cup Channa dal
- 4 tablespoons White sesame seeds, dry roasted and ground to powder
- 1/2 cup Peanuts (roasted)
- 1/4 cup Jaggery
- 3 tablespoons Methi seeds
- 20 Red chilies
- Curry leaves, few
- Squeeze tamarind to extract pulp.
- Heat oil. Fry red chilies, channa dal, urad dal, methi seeds. Grind to powder when cool.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Add asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves and tamarind juice. Bring to boil.
- As liquid is reduced, add ground spice powder .
- Add salt, jaggery, peanuts and sesame powder. Mix.
- Store in cool dry place. Make tamarind rice using Pulikaachal.