Generally it is deep fried potato smash coated with chickpea flour paste. This version is chef special way of baking them healthy.
- 1 potato, large, boiled and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup besan or bengal gram flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 green chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon channa dal (bengal gram split dal)
- 5 -6 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 springs cilantro, diced
- 1 teaspoon red chilli pepper powder, for batter
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, chana dal and chilli. Add the asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Add potatoes. Mix well till spices coat. Add cilantro, red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well and make lemon sized balls of mixture. Keep aside.
- Whisk besan along with salt, red chilli powder and water into thick batter.
- Heat appey pan. Grease the slots. Drop potato balls in batter and place in appey slots.
- Cook on medium heat till all sides are cooked well.
- Serve baked batata vada with chutney.