Kokum Saar is a traditional tangy Maharashtrian drink made with kokum juice. It is a refreshingly healthy drink that can also be served as a side dish to rice. It has cooling properties and is excellent for digestion.
- 12 kokum, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons jaggery
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ghee/ clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida
- 2 -3 dried red chillies
- 4 -5 curry leaves
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Squeeze all the juice out of soaked kokum and strain it.
- Add 2 cups water, jaggery, salt into the juice and heat until the jaggery dissolves.
- Make a tempering of cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, dried red chillies, asafetida and coriander leaves in clarified butter and pour this over the kokum mixture.
- Garnish the kokum saar with chopped coriander leaves and serve kokum saar cold/hot.