Gujarati dal is an easy to prepare lentil soup with a mild sweet and tangy taste. A Gujarati thali/meal is not complete without this dish.
- 1 cup tuvar dal, washed and soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Pressure cook tuvar dal with 1 cup water for 4 whistles.
- Blend dal in a blender, add 1 cup water, jaggery, kokam, salt and boil the dal in a pan on low flame for 5 minutes .
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, star anise and curry leaves and sauté for a second.
- Add this tempering to the dal and simmer for two minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Gujarati dal hot with rice.