Upma, uppumavu or uppittu is a popular breakfast item in south and west India. This is variation using carrots.
- 1 cup rava, roast till dry and light brown
- 1 cup carrot, washed, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves, chopped finely
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon chana dal
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. Roast till dal is brown.
- Add onions, curry leaves and ginger. Roast till onions are translucent.
- Add 2 cups of water, salt and bring it to boil.
- Add carrots. Slowly add roasted rava. Stir to avoid formation of lumps.
- Cover and let it cook till water is absorbed.
- Add lemon juice, coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve hot gajar upma as breakfast or snack.