Fresh green pigeon peas cooked in yogurt!
A seasonal dish accompanied with harvest of pigeon peas, widely cooked in rural Gujarat.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3/4 cup tuver na lilva / fresh pigeon peas, boiled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons besan/chickpea flour
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, grounded
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 springs onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- salt as per taste
- Keep aside 1/4 cup of peas aside and mince remaining tuver peas.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt with salt and chickpea flour. Add 1.5 cup water and blend till lump free.
- Heat ghee. Splutter mustard seeds, asafoetida. Add chillies, ginger, garlic and onion. Stir fry till onions are soft.
- Add minced tuver peas. Mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and remaining spices. Mix well.
- Add yogurt mix and whole peas. Mix and keep stirring for 5 minutes till mixture is thick.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and spring onions.
- Serve tuver na lilva ni kadhi hot with bajra rotla /roti.