Aloo Matar is a delicious North Indian dish where boiled potato and green peas are cooked in a spicy gravy. It is a tasty accompaniment to roti, nan, chapathi or phulka.
- 1 cup green peas
- 4 potatoes, boiled, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 tomatoes, blanched and pureed
- 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon melon seeds, soaked in water and pureed (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon kasuri methi ( dried fenugreek leaves)
- Heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds. Fry ginger garlic paste and onion till they are translucent.
- Add tomato puree turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, and watermelon seed paste and cook for sometime.
- Add potato pieces and boiled peas to the gravy. Adjust consistency with water.
- Once peas are cooked, sprinkle crushed kasuri methi. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve Aloo matar with hot phulkas.