Tangy and spicy chutney made from raw tamarind
- 1/2 cup raw tamarind pulp
- 20 red chillies
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 teaspoons urad dal / skinned blackgram
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Remove husk, wash and sun dry raw tamarind. Grind with salt and turmeric without water. Store in airtight container for 2 days. Separate any visible husk or seeds. Grind again to smooth tamarind base.
- Heat oil. Crackle mustard seeds and urad dal till dal is light brown.
- Add coriander seeds, asafoetida and red chillies and heat till coriander seeds browns.
- Grind all toasted ingredients along with tamarind base and salt.
- Serve Chintakaaya Pachadi with rice.