Split black gram cooked with spices from east
- 1/4 cup Split urad dal with skin, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/4 teaspoon Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paanch phoran
- 1 small bayleaf
- 1 red chili
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, shredded
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 pinch Baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Bring a cup of water to boil. Add soaked dal, green chillies and baking soda. Cook covered for 30 minutes till dal is almost cooked.
- Continue heating without lid till water is absorbed.
- Temper dal with hot oil and fried bay leaf, red chili and panch phoran.
- Garnish with shredded ginger and serve Kali Daal hot along with rice.