Spicy coconut chutney powder. Known as chammandhipodi in Kerala
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 3 tablespoons split black gram lentils / urad dal
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 5 dried red chillies
- Tamarind, (about size of a grape)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- salt to taste
- Dry roast coconut till pale brown. Add red chillies and take off heat after 30 seconds.
- Heat oil. Roast urad dal till brown. Add asafoetida and cook for 30 seconds. Allow to cool.
- Grind coconut, red chillies, lentils, asafoetida, salt and tamarind to coarse powder.
- Store in air tight container. Serve Thengaipodi with rice and ghee.