Steamed rice cake cooked along with coconut.
- Category: Dinner Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Malayali Recipes, Rice Recipes
- 2 cups Raw rice
- 1 cup Cooked rice ( parboiled rice works best)
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon Yeast
- 1/4 cup Sugar or more to taste
- Salt – a pinch
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Roasted Cashews and Raisins (Optional)
- Soak the rice in water for 5-6 hours and drain.
- Grind this with grated coconut,sugar, yeast and cooked rice adding just enough water to a smooth batter.
- Add salt and mix well together. Cover it and allow it to ferment in warm place overnight.
- Place the batter in vessel and steam it till water boils and then place it under steam for 20 minutes on low flame till Vattayappam is done.