Jati Lau Khar is a traditional Assamese dish prepared with bottle gourd.
Khar is alkaline liquid made from banana peel or banana trunk. It is inseparable part of Assamese cuisines.
- 1/2 bottle gourd, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 1 cup Kola Khar (khar made from sundried, burnt banana peel ash)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pinch mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chili
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili
- 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, dried red chilies, onion and garlic. Sauté till onions become transparent.
- Add bottle gourd, salt and cook for some time.
- Add a cup of water (khar) and cook till bottle gourd becomes pulpy.
- Garnish with green chilies. Serve Jati Lau khar hot with rice