Stuffed Tomato Bhajiya is a popular street food in Surat. Tameta Bhajiya is made from stuffing fresh tomatoes with spicy filling and deep fried with besan batter. Stuffing in this bhajiya changes, often made from locally available ingredients.
Find this video about local street vendor in Surat making Tameta bhajiya with their spicy stuffing.
- 4 -6 whole tomatoes
- 2 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup fresh green peas, boiled
- 1/2 cup paneer / cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup besan
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Prepare stuffings by mixing potatoes, peas, paneer, salt and pepper powder. Mix well.
- Prepare tomatoes by removing inner core so that outer cover is intact.
- Fill spoonful of potato mixture in tomatoes. Keep aside.
- Make semi thick batter by whisking besan with soda, salt, turmeric powder and required water.
- Place oil on heat. When hot, dip a tomato in besan batter, coat on all sides and quickly place in hot oil.
- Deep fry so that golden on all sides.
- Tameta bhajiya is often served with Kadhi and fried green chillies.