Sweet made from gram flour and sugar. It is also known as soan papdi in other parts of country.
- 100 grams besan
- 100 grams maida
- 200 grams Sugar
- 250 milliliters ghee
- Cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon vinegar / glucose syrup
- Heat ghee in wide mouth pan
- Add maida and besan. Mix well. Fry till fragrant and colour changes. Stir continously to avoid sticking. Cool to room temperature or slightly warm.
- Prepare syrup by melting sugar in water and bringing it to boil. Do not caramalize. Add vinegar to avoid crystalization.Boil for 3-4 minutes till single thread consistency.
- Grease a pan and place it in another pan with water.
- In this water cooled pan add syrup and stir with pointed spoon quickly. They syrup would start turning into semi solid ball.
- Now add this syrup ball in besan and flour mixture. Add cardamom powder.
- Mix well while stretching the ball. The syrup shall absorb all flour.
- Once flour is absorbed, transfer this syrup flour ball to working surface.
- Using hand and then rolling pin, continue stretching and compressing the dough while it is still hot.
- Spread on the surface with rolling pin. Spread nuts over the surface. Allow it to cool. Make horizontal and vertical lines using a knife on the surface.
- As the syrup crystalizes, it forms flakes making the dish flaky.