Kuzhi Paniyaram is a Tamil dish known by various names in Southern India including paddu, appe, guliappa, gulittu, gundponglu, ponganalu. It is prepared by steaming the fermented batter of rice and black gram.
- Category: Rice Recipes, Tamil Recipes
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup parboiled rice / ukda chawal
- 1/2 cup urad dal
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 green chili, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Soak rice, parboiled rice along with urad dal and fenugreek seeds in liter of water overnight. Grind into coarse paste. Add salt and allow the batter to ferment overnight.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and onion. Cook till onions are light brown.
- Add tempering to batter. Mix well.
- Place batter in greased dent of Appa Vessel. Cook till well cooked.
- Serve Kuzhi Paniyaram hot with coconut chutney.