Dum monji is a tasty Kashmiri dish prepared with kohlrabi stem and Kashmiri spices. It is mostly prepared on festivals & fasts and served with rice.
- 1 kilogram monji Kohlrabi stems/ Ganth Gobhi peeled and cut into round slices
- 2 teaspoons red chilly powder
- 2 tablespoons fennel powder
- 2 black cardamom, crushed
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 teaspoon vari masala/ garam masala.
- 1 cup mustard oil
- Heat oil and stir fry kohlrabi slices. Keep aside.
- In same wok, add red chilli powder, some water and stir continuously.
- Add asafoetida, kohlrabi slices and 1/4 cup water. Mix well.
- Add 1 glass of water, fennel powder , salt and black cardamom and pressure cook for two whistles .
- Once cooked, add vari masala/garam masala and cook on low flame for another few minutes.
- Serve Dum Monji with rice.