Popular sambar recipe from South India with raw turmeric instead of regular turmeric powder.
- Category: Curry Recipes, South India
- 6 Shallots / sambar onions
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped vegetables (Carrot, zucchini, others)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sambar Podi / sambar powder
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tablespoons Chickpea Flour
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated turmeric
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander leaves, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 5 Curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 pinch Hing
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, fennel seeds, curry leaves and hing.
- Add green chillies and garlic. Saute.
- Add shallots and cook until translucent.
- Add vegetables and cook till semi cooked.
- Add grated turmeric, sambar powder and salt. Mix well. Allow to cook for 2 minutes
- Whisk chickpea flour in 2 cups water. Mix thoroughly to avoid any lumps. Add this to sambar preparation.
- Adjust taste with salt. Adjust consistency with water.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Manjal Sambar with hot rice or dosai.