Dharwad peda is a popular sweet from city of Dharwad in Karnataka. Today, Dharwad peda has got its unique GI tag. Dharwad peda gets its taste from excellent quality of milk available locally and the process which caramelizes sugar and milk protein.
- Category: Dessert Recipes, Kannada Recipes
- 1 Litre Milk, prefer buffalo milk with high fat content
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice for curdling
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1/4 Milk, during pedha preparation
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamon powder
- Make paneer by heating milk and bringing to boil on medium flame, then curdling with lemone juice.
- As it starts curdling, stop heating and allow milk protein / paneer to separate completely.
- Strain out paneer and squeeze out entire water. Keep paneer / cheena aside.
- In a pan, heat ghee and add crumbled paneer. Roast paneer.
- Continue stirring and heating for 10 minutes till it changes colour to light brown and is completely dry.
- Now add sugar and a tbsp of milk. Saute till sugar dissolves.
- Continue stirring on medium flame till it gets darker brown. Add little milk in between to keep the mixture moist.
- Once darker brown, allow to cook and grind with cardamon to fine powder.
- Saute this ground mixture again with 2-3 tbsp milk. Stir and cook till it darkens further.
- Add milk to keep mixture little moist and avoid hardening of sugar.
- Allow to cool. Once cool, take a portion of mixture and roll into cylindrical, nicely consistent ball.
- Roll this peda into castor sugar and coat with sugar granules.
- Dharwad Peda is ready to be served! Store in dry container for future use.