Kakinada Madatha Kaja
Variant of sweet preparation kaja from Kakinada in Telangana
- Category: Andhra Recipes, Dessert Recipes
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 tablespoons Ghee
- 2 tablespoons Rice Flour
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- Knead stiff dough by mixing flour, ghee, baking soda and water. Cover and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in 15 equal portions. Roll each piece in thin roti/puri like circle. Grease with ghee and sprinkle rice flour. Keep three such rolled circles one over other.
- Apply water at edges and do carpet roll of these three layered circle. Slice this carpet roll into 8-10 pieces. Flatten each piece.
- Make similar pieces from remaining dough.
- Now heat sugar with 3/4 cup of water and allow to boil. Simmer till sugar syrup has single thread consistency. Sprinkle cardamom and keep aside
- Heat oil. Deep fry flattend pieces into medium heat. Remove when uniformly browned.
- Drain and dunk in the warm sugar syrup. Allow them to be soaked in syrup for 10-15 minutes and them remove to air dry them.
- Store kajas in air tight container.