Simba Rai is authentic Odia recipe using broad beans. While making Simba Rai, broad beans are cooked in mustard paste along with local vegetables. It is often served during winters when Simba / broad beans are available in the market.
- 100 grams Broad beans / Simba
- 2 potatoes, wedged
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds / Sorisha, soaked in water
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder / Haladi
- 1 onion, large and chopped
- 1 tomato / Bilati Baigana, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves / Rasuna
- 2 Dry red chilies / Sukhila Lanka, soaked in water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies, split
- 1 pinch hing
- Grind mustard seeds, onions, tomatoes, red chillies, turmeric, salt and garlic along with some water to fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter some mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and green chillies.
- Add beans and potatoes. Stir fry.
- Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, till potaoes are almost cooked.
- Add mustard paste and a cup of water. Mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Adjust consitency with water and taste with salt.
- Serve Simba Rai hot along with rice.