Fried lentil drops cooked in gravy
- 4 tablespoons coriander powder (dhaniya)
- Salt to taste
- 10 cups of water
- 2 black cardamon pods
- 1 large stick of cinnamon/dalchini
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 6 tablespoons amchur (mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 tablespoons besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 cup of besan (chick pea flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya)
- Chili powder to taste
- In a bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the boondi with water.
- Heat 5-6 cups of mustard oil for frying.
- Sieve the boondi batter through a sieve with rounded holes and fry the boondi till crisp but do not brown. Set aside.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds, dalchini, moti eilachi and 1/2 teaspoon of hing (asafetida).
- Combine and add the coriander powder, besan, chili powder, turmeric, amchur powder, salt and mix well.
- Add 10 cups of water and stir very well smoothing out any bumps and bubbles.
- Boil for 15 minutes. Add the boondi and boil for 5 minutes.
- Take the pot off the fire and set aside as the mixture will thicken.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve hot with white rice.