Steamed rice dumplings served with a spicy chutney/chammanthi. This is a popular breakfast dish in Kerala.
- 2 cups Rice flour, roasted
- 1 1/2 cups Grated coconut
- 6 Shallots
- 10 Whole dried red chillies
- Few Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil as needed
- Boil water by adding salt in it and add to the rice flour. Mix well.
- When half cooled, add grated coconut and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into small balls (unda) and steam them for 10 minutes. Keep Unda aside.
- To make chutney, heat oil in a pan and saute shallots ,curry leaves and red chillies for a minute.
- Add salt and grind to a smooth paste. Add 2 or 3 tsp of oil to the paste and mix well. Chutney is ready.
- Serve Unda with this Chammanthi