Usoi Mangan Uti is common curry made in Manipur from peas and bamboo shoots and spiced with local herbs. It serves as an excellent side dish for your lunch or dinner recipes.
- 2 cups dry peas / mangan atingba, soaked overnight in water
- 1 cup bamboo shoots / usoi, sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cheng / short grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Sing asuba / freshly crushed ginger
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil / achathao
- 1 bay leaf / tej bat mana
- 1/4 teaspoon Hing / asafoetida
- 1/2 cup green garlic chopped / yenam maroi nakuppi
- 1 Onion, small chopped /tilhou
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes /morok asuba
- Few pieces wild orange skin / heiribob
- Salt / thum
- 3/4 teaspoon Soda / soda baicap
- Chopped coriander leaves / phadigom
- Heat soaked peas along with ginger, rice, bamboo shoots and 3 cups water. Bring to boil. Cook until peas are just cooked but not mushy.
- Add 1/2 cup of water. In boiling mixture add salt and soda. Mix well. Continue until mixture is mushy.
- In separate pan, heat oil. Splutter bay leaf, hing, green chllies and green garlic. Mix
- Add onion and fry until onions are soft.
- Add turmeric powder, heiribob. Continue heating until slightly brown.
- Add this fried mix into Uti mixture. Stir.
- Add coriander leaves. Continue heating for a minute.
- Serve usoi mangan uti hot.