Kanchipuram idlis are soft and flavorful idlis that originated in a small town called Kanchipuram in Tamil Nadu. These idlis are loaded with spices like pepper, ginger, cumin seeds and curry leaves, which gives them a unique taste and aroma.
- Category: Breakfast Recipes, Rice Recipes, Snacks Recipes, Tamil Recipes
- 2 cups rice, soaked for 2-3 hours
- 1 cup whole urad dal, soaked for 2-3 hours
- 2 tablespoons cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons chana dal /chopped cashews
- 1 teaspoon shredded ginger /ginger powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt /curd
- 2 teaspoons black pepper corns
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida
- 2 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt to taste
- Grind the rice to coarse batter. Grind urad dal and cooked rice to smooth batter. Mix well and allow to ferment overnight.
- Add beaten curd/yogurt, cumin seeds, pepper corns, ginger, torn curry leaves, salt, cashews, hot ghee, oil and baking soda. Mix well.
- Prepare idlis with this batter.
- Serve Kanchipuram idlis with the chutney of your choice.